Collection of prop photos recreating events, people, and places from H. P. Lovecraft’s classic story At the Mountains of Madness
FROM PROPNOMICON: Curious devices, forbidden artifacts, mysterious creatures, and intriguing documents.
The ill-fated Miskatonic University Antarctic expedition of 1930 is regarded one of the greatest kept secrets of the 20th century. With heavy air support and advanced (for the era) drilling gear to penetrate the ice, its numerous achievements have been quietly wrapped away whilst the expedition itself is more often remembered for the tragic fatalities that brought it to an end. Fatalities that were so gruesome most academics simply refuse to consider what may have occurred out there, in those frighteningly remote and inhospitable peaks. However, Propnomicon gained access to some of the documentary evidence about what happened, including journals, reports, and photographs. And in true Lovecraftian fashion made replicas of what they witnessed.
Going clockwise from the 12 o’clock position the photos depict:
1. A picture taken from the aft camera mount of one of the expedition’s Dornier Wal aircraft of low mountains.
2. Shot taken from the forward camera mount on a Wal of another aircraft flying in formation.
3. The young Mr. Danforth posing in front of a plane.
4. One of the expedition’s teams of sled dogs transporting supplies.
5. Prof. Lake and an assistant taking solar fixes. The close proximity of the pole made regular solar and celestial readings a necessity for navigation.
6. One of the “Elder Things” outside the mouth of the underground chamber where it was discovered.
7. In the center, technicians check the engine of one of the expedition’s Dornier Wal aircraft.
Again, starting from the 12 o’clock position:
1. A Wal undergoing tests in the open water off the Ross ice shelf.
2. An “Elder Thing” eye stalk being examined during Prof. Lake’s dissection attempt.
3. Sled dogs pulling a sledge containing part of Pabodie’s portable drilling rig. Portable, in this case, being relative.
4. Supplies being offloaded from the “Arkham” at the edge of the ice shelf.
5. A shot taken from one of the Wal camera mounts of the strangely regular shapes or structures seen clinging to some of the peaks in the Antarctic interior.
6. Center, Prof. William Dyer relaxing on deck during the journey south.
THE PROPNOMICON HAS SEEN WHAT SHOULD NOT BE
Follow the trail of madness. Click here and visit Propnomicon today.
OTHER LINKS TO SATISFY YOUR TASTE:
- Short Animation: At The Mountains of Madness – H.P.Lovecraft – in Spanish with English subtitles: https://davidjrodger.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/short-animation-at-the-mountains-of-madness-h-p-lovecraft-in-spanish-with-english-subtitles/
- Arctic Forest Photo by Norwegian Hagenland Conjures Lovecraftian Scene before the Madness: https://davidjrodger.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/arctic-forest-photo-by-norwegian-hagenland-conjures-lovecraftian-scene-before-the-madness/
Experience a New Terror of Isolation in the Wilderness
THE BLACK LAKE
The Black Lake
By David J Rodger
A remote island haunted by new monsters
GREAT BOOKS ARE HARD TO FIND. SHOP TODAY!
“Atmospheric and Creepy” – The Guardian on The Black Lake
“…the best Sci-Fi horror I’ve read in ten years” – Floyd Hayes, Creative Director of World’s Fastest Agency on Dog Eat Dog
David J Rodger’s vision of a post-apocalyptic world was given a spooky twist last year in The Black Lake, after the action-packed hit Dog Eat Dog and alongside the tense, slow-burning thriller of recently released The Social Club.
In the wake of a cataclysmic event ten years ago (Yellow Dawn), survivors are still struggling to understand what has happened to the Earth – and make sense of the alien, sometimes surreal, consequences that now dominate so much of daily life across the planet.
Five men leave their survivor fortress in Malta on a sea-expedition to the sub-Arctic waters above Scotland. They intend to undertake scientific observations of violent and fascinating meteorological phenomenon that takes place there – considered the focus point of some kind of singularity. What they find is a cosmic horror that seethes amongst the shadows of this darkened world. It is a story of escape and wonder, of madness and terror.
Shop with LULU Global