Work in Progress
¦ dialling in from Sky Bunker ¦
The UK shut down for four days over the weekend. Easter Bank Holiday. I had the luxury of using three of those four days to sink deep into a creative groove with the new novel. Here’s the updates I posted on Facebook during the period, with insights into the story and where I’m at with it:
- Current word count 64,000. It’s been slow progress this month for one reason or another and as we approach April, I’m coming to the start of a self-imposed “month off writing”. So I need to get as much done over the next three days as as I can.
- Yesterday was a wonderfully epic day of writing. I nailed 5,000 words. Aiming to attempt the same today – see how my brain fares. Now on 69,000 words. The bigger plot is starting to emerge as senior verifier Jadon Purgo is brought into the confidence of conspirators – and his “mission” becomes more of a personal desire to find the wider truth about London, and the Settlement, than solve the deaths of two high-ranking officials with the Power of Eight Group. See a tough character twist and buckle under brutal strains.
- 72,700 words. Jeepers my head feels like its had an accelerator pedal pressed down on it for a couple of days solid. Jadon Purgo is about to be taken into the Dead Zone outside London. Scary times for the man and chance to start weaving in some of the Mythos madness into this story.
- Now into my 3rd day of solid progress on the book. I’ve not left the house since Thursday night. Most of that time I’ve been up here in the Sky Bunker. Living on coffee and pasta, and until I shaved last night I looked like total bum. Love it though. 73,300 words right now. London Dead Zone ahead.
- 74,000 words. Engines close to failing. Risk of this bird going down into Dead Zone. Purgo terrified, naturally. Survive the crash and find himself surrounded by Infected
- 75,700. First sight of Infected swarming through dead city streets.
- 76,700 words. Dang! That’s nearly 13,000 since Friday. I’m super pleased and loving the visuals. This is what writing is all about. Living and working through the “movie” that is inside your head.
In the end I nailed 14,000 words in three days. Not bad as in the 3 months I’ve been working on the book (on and off since August 2012) I did 63,000 . So it means in one long weekend I achieved what would normally take me 20 days. Heavy use of my “Da Vinci” method: polyphasic sleep, grabbing 15 minutes every 45 minutes, hour after hour. I highly recommend trying it if you’re a creative.
The Social Club will be the third novel set in the post-apocalyptic survival horror universe of Yellow Dawn – The Age of Hastur; it follows Dog Eat Dog and The Black Lake (which recently received critical review in the Guardian newspaper website UK) – all three of which are separate stories but sharing the one universe. Another five novels exist taking place in this shared universe before Yellow Dawn wrecked such global havoc and devastation, you can view all of these novels here.
Subscribe (top left) to this blog or join my Facebook page to follow updates.